Sunday, September 27, 2009

Nighmare Advice for my 2 year old??

My poor Lucy has been having terrible Nightmares this last couple of weeks and refuses to sleep in her own bed! I feel so bad and don't feel as if I should Make her stay in her bed! But every night I have been Faithfully encouraging her to sleep in her bed. But she wont! After our regular Bedtime routine book and Prayers (in our prayers we bless her to have good thoughts and dreams) she will stay for a few Min's and then she will come to me and say I'm so scared! I have witnessed this for myself! So lately (since I'm so anti kids sleep with me in my bed, Because I feel that's My space) I have lay ed a a blanket on the floor for her to sleep on on the foot of my bed, And one night she woke up screaming just terrified and kept saying (yelling) "The Chickens ore Biting Me!!" She was freaking out! It was so sad! Ant advice on this constant Nightmares in my poor 2 year old??? Because I am All Ears!! And then the other night I told her to pick a book for bed, so she picked her animal book and we started looking at the pictures and talking about the animals in the book so I turned one of the Pages and there was a close up of a Lizard! She freaked turned her head so fast a crawled away so quickly! she is like"hurry Mommy turn it". Anyway again I am looking for any advice I can get?? If you have any please feel free to talk away!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, dear!!! I remember reading something about this in the What to Expect the Toddler Years book... I don't remember what it said, though. My kids have had occasional nightmares, but not like Lucy, being scared of animals and such. Did you go somewhere with animals that scared her? Is there something she likes to sleep with that could make her feel safe? Maybe buy her a new teddy bear or blankie or let her sleep with your shirt or something...something that will make her feel safe. When my kids wake up in the middle of the night scared, I usually let them climb in my bed and lay there for a while to calm down and relax, and then when I can't go back to sleep I take them back to their bed and tuck them in, and I say a prayer for them and ask Heavenly Father to help them not be scared and to sleep, and it usually works.

Not much help, but I'm sure you'll figure something out...poor Lucy!

Sabrina Bodine said...

Definatly don't let her get in the habbit! They soon figure out that if I just say I am having a nightmare mommy will take me to her bed. I suggest playing some soothing music or Disney (she is familiar with those shows, so, that will give her a positive visual to fall asleep to. This will destract from focusing on animals.) Also, maybe try to take her to a petting zoo and expose her to animals. This will show her that they will not hurt her. I have done what your friend Rebecca has... this also is a good idea. Let them lay with you and then tranport her back to her room. You can also try one of those spinning lamps that project pictures on the wall. You just want to distract her from thinking about the nightmares before she falls asleep. You usually dream about the last thing you think about right before you fall asleep. Anyway, hope that helps. I know it's hard but what ever you do, BE CONSITANT as hard as it is at times:)
How's the "bear hug" method working for you?

Your future is as Bright as your Faith -Thomas S Monson